Nobody knows whose hand painted the Pskov-Intercession (Pskovo-Pokrovskaya) icon. In the middle ages iconographers never signed icons they pained. But we know one thing for sure – the reason for the creation of the icon and its subject was the appearance of the Holy Theotokos to the monk of Pskov Intercession monastery Dorofey before the decisive storm of the town by the Polish army.
The Church of Intercession and Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God, or the Intercession Church at the Breach, or the Intercession Church in the Corner as it is often called, is situated in the south-west corner of Okolny Gorod next to the Intercession Tower.
The history of the double church of the Intercession and Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God dates back to 1399 when the first church, which was named the Intercession of Our Lady was built.
It is not known exactly, when the Monastery was founded, but it was firstly mentioned in a manuscript concerning Pskov, written in 1465. Also the Monastery was mentioned in a chronicle concerning Pskov in 1544 which mentioned that the Monastery was damaged in a fire.